Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Lockport & the I&M Canal

I can't believe it's Wednesday already. I have been buried in work (the kind that pays my mortgage and feeds my cats, not necessarily in that order) since Sunday afternoon. I haven't even ridden since Sunday!

On Sunday I did the Folks on Spokes ("FOS") Sunday ride. This is a scheduled ride to a pre-determined location. This week we rode to Lockport and the I&M Canal. It is a very historic area, and a really cool ride, literally. It was about 58 degrees for the entire ride with a NE wind. (Some day, I will go into detail about my hatred on NE winds.) For more on Lockport and the I&M click on http://www.canalcor.org/DowntownLockport.html.

We actually only ride on the canal trail (the old towpath) less than 5 miles, between Lockport and Joliet. But its really cool (groovy cool). There are ruins along the trail, stone bridge footings, blast furnaces from an old steel mill. One of these days, I'd like to get out there and be a tourist and really check it all out.

The total ride was 56 miles, 2245 for the year.

Hope to get some miles tomorrow night. Work is settling down and the Tribe plays an afternoon game, so the agony of the loss will be complete by the time I get home from work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home