Monday, July 03, 2006

The weekend of the dead reptile

So, after taking a week off from work and riding, I rode with Frankfort Breakfast Club on Saturday and Folks on Spokes ("FOS") on Sunday.

The Saturday ride was sunny, hot and humid. We rode to Manhattan (IL) and ate at one of the great cheap country restaurants. Big breakfast for under $5. Some of the group went on to ride to Peotone and points east. But after a week of not riding, I wasn't feeling so strong so I went straight back to Frankfort (total 53 miles).

The FOS ride on Sunday could have gone all the way to Midway Airport. Nobody in my group felt like dealing with the traffic and went to Lake Katherine, a Cook County Forest Preserve. It was a nice ride out, fairly quiet trail, nice scenery. Just north of Lake Katherine is the MSD (Metropolitan Sanitary District) purification plant. Very scenic. To the left, is a pic of me in front of the waterfalls. (Picture courtesy of Hugh Hillebrand). Fortunately, this isn't Aromapic(R) because as scenic as it was, the air left a little to be desired. Just out of the picture was about 50 ducks. My guess is that after dark, they glow in the dark.

Oh, it was "the weekend of the dead reptile" because I saw TWO dead snakes on the road on Sunday. Picked up another 47 miles on Sunday. I think I have just over 2500 miles for the year, but the official chart is on my wall in the office.

Tomorrow, I'm riding the Joliet Bicycle Club's Fourth of July ride http://www.jolietbicycleclub.org/. Planning on riding a metric century (62 miles).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home