Thursday, July 06, 2006

Knee High on the Fourth of July

On the Fourth, I rode in the Joliet Bicycle Club's Fourth of July Ride. It was a nice little metric century (62 miles) through the farmlands west and south of Joliet, IL. It was a warm day with changing winds, which is a nice way of saying it hot, muggy and head winds most of the way. Here's a picture of an unidentified cyclist passing us as we found some shelter under a tree for a few minutes.

The old saying goes that corn should be knee high by the Fourth of July. As you can see, there is some prodigious corn in Illinois. It also helps that the extreme drought we've been experiencing finally broke. Also, corn that high qualifies for "green door status". The green door is also known as God's bathroom.

Additionally, last night (Wednesday, 7/5) I did a 24 mile fast ride. I'll talk more about the Wednesday night rides later. Total mileage for the year: 2,639.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home