A Special Weekend of Riding
Every summer, the American Lung Association has a bicycle ride across America . This year, 50 or so very brave riders left Seattle, Washington on June 25 and will arrive in Washington, D.C. on August 11. Last Saturday, they rode through my backyard, so to speak. The ride was from Coal City, IL to Valparaiso, IN.
One very special rider is Kelly McCall, who is riding the journey on a handcycle. I have developed a strong interest in handcycling this year, as my friend Ray rides one. So, I went to Kelly website, checked out her blog and then contacted her about riding part of Saturday's leg with her.
We met up in Beecher and rode out to Valparaiso, which is where Ray lives. It was a nice ride except for the stupid, stupid, stupid NE winds. On Sunday, I exchanged my normal FOS ride for breakfast together to talk about handcycling, cycling adventures and roadkill.
Here is a picture of us on State Line Road somewhere between Beecher and the thriving metropolis of Brunswick, IN, which by the way does not even boast a red light.

By the way, those 50 riders raised $350,000 for the American Lung Association.
One very special rider is Kelly McCall, who is riding the journey on a handcycle. I have developed a strong interest in handcycling this year, as my friend Ray rides one. So, I went to Kelly website, checked out her blog and then contacted her about riding part of Saturday's leg with her.
We met up in Beecher and rode out to Valparaiso, which is where Ray lives. It was a nice ride except for the stupid, stupid, stupid NE winds. On Sunday, I exchanged my normal FOS ride for breakfast together to talk about handcycling, cycling adventures and roadkill.
Here is a picture of us on State Line Road somewhere between Beecher and the thriving metropolis of Brunswick, IN, which by the way does not even boast a red light.
By the way, those 50 riders raised $350,000 for the American Lung Association.


1 Comments:
Hi Ellen!!!
Nice picture - thanks! Yeah, look what those stupid, stupid, stupid NE winds were doing to the pom poms under my flag - LOL!!!
I'm back home now, adjusting to a new me. :-) Thanks for your assistance getting me there. Come to AZ anytime and we'll ride those desert washes!!
Best to Ray - keep in touch - 2K.
Post a Comment
<< Home