Wednesday, June 13, 2007

An Evening with the Cicadas

This year is the seventeenth year since the last time the cicadas hit the scene here in Northern Illinois. It certainly isn't a quiet summer. All these little guys are attracting (more) squirrels, dogs and seagulls. I guess they are a good protein source. My cats pesonally don't seem to like them. But generally, my guys don't seem to like crunchy bugs of any sort.

Last night, we took a ride out towards Frankfort, then to Hickory Creek Junction. Not only were there dulcet tones of the cicadas everywhere, they were flying around all over the place. The ground was pretty crunchy, too. There is some risk of riding fast in this buggy climate. I had a few of them bounce off me and my bike. And as hard as it is for me to do, I'm trying to ride with my mouth closed so that I don't find out what they taste like. I'll find another way to get my protein, thank you very much.

My total miles for the ride yesterday was 21. Slowly I'm working my way back to 200 mile weeks. I may get 150 this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home