Crete and Points East
Many of my rides lately have been to the west - Joilet, Manhattan, Elwood, Peotone and Frankfort. Some of this by design, some by chance. But this weekend was a little different. On Saturday the Frankfort Breakfast Club (ok, so I still went to Frankfort) decided to go to Crete (IL). The winds were somewhat easterly and Agee's or A.G.s, as it's sometimes known is one of THE best breakfast places of them all.
My adventures on Saturday, though, occured within a 1/4 mile of my house. I only live about a 1/2 mile from the bike trail that leads to Frankfort. The road to get there is a wide, not heavily travelled road. Unfortunately, it is now under construction. I thought that my biggest concern was traversing through the construction zone and dodging traffic. But, it turns out my biggest concern was construction debris and I ended up with two flats. Good thing I was close to home. I just picked up the bike, walked home and got out the backup bike, which I just happened to have used the day before for grocery shopping, so it was ready to roll. So, riding my aluminum road bike, I had a beautiful, subsequently uneventful ride.
On Sunday, with my carbon bike donning two brand new tubes, the Folks on Spokes ride was scheduled to go to Crown Point, IN. Instead of going south and east taking some nice quiet country roads, this ride went north and east through practically every suburb between Matteson, IL and Gary, IN. Then we reached a bike trail in Highland, IN turned south and made our way to Crown Point, which also has a great place for breakfast (or in this case, lunch). We left Matteson at 8:00 am and didn't get to Crown Point until 11:45 am. The restaraunt did a fine job a feeding 13 very hungry and thirsty cyclists. The return ride finally got us on those quiet country roads. Total miles for the day 71. Total for the year 3,150.
My adventures on Saturday, though, occured within a 1/4 mile of my house. I only live about a 1/2 mile from the bike trail that leads to Frankfort. The road to get there is a wide, not heavily travelled road. Unfortunately, it is now under construction. I thought that my biggest concern was traversing through the construction zone and dodging traffic. But, it turns out my biggest concern was construction debris and I ended up with two flats. Good thing I was close to home. I just picked up the bike, walked home and got out the backup bike, which I just happened to have used the day before for grocery shopping, so it was ready to roll. So, riding my aluminum road bike, I had a beautiful, subsequently uneventful ride.
On Sunday, with my carbon bike donning two brand new tubes, the Folks on Spokes ride was scheduled to go to Crown Point, IN. Instead of going south and east taking some nice quiet country roads, this ride went north and east through practically every suburb between Matteson, IL and Gary, IN. Then we reached a bike trail in Highland, IN turned south and made our way to Crown Point, which also has a great place for breakfast (or in this case, lunch). We left Matteson at 8:00 am and didn't get to Crown Point until 11:45 am. The restaraunt did a fine job a feeding 13 very hungry and thirsty cyclists. The return ride finally got us on those quiet country roads. Total miles for the day 71. Total for the year 3,150.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home