Sunday, October 29, 2006

Cruisin' with the Cranes and Other Things

Yesterday, I went to Medaryville, IN and rode a fifty mile bike ride called the "Crane Cruise".




The purpose of the ride (besides the obvious chance to ride) is that the sandhill cranes gather at a wildlife preservation near there. Most years, one would be able to see the cranes hanging out in fields in the afternoon during the ride. However there was a high wind advisory and we didn't see any cranes during the ride. Unlike us, they were smart enough to hunker down out of the wind. But the real show was at sunset, when thousands of cranes started flying in from all directions to spend the night in the nature preserve. The first picture was a freeze frame of constant waves of cranes coming to the preserve. The second pic is a close up of the cranes in the field. (click on the picture for a better view).










Sorry for the poor quality.

With wind gusts as high as 40 mph, the ride was challenging. Though the SAG stops were manned by some very nice people who took good care of us. At the scond stop you can see our food being prepared. Hot dogs always taste good cooked over an open fire.


And here, you can see a really cool bridge made out of one of the wheels from the original Ferris Wheel from the Chicago World's Fair.



I ended my day with a hot shower and a cold beer.

Today turned out to be much nicer day for a bike ride. There were light(er) winds out of the southwest and temps pushing 60. We rode out to Manhattan (the city in Illinois, not the drink). I didn't come home today feeling quite as beat up as yesterday.

Over the weekend, I had 118 miles. I have 136 for the week and 5,678 for the year.

I know it was just the 49ers, but how 'bout dem Bears!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home