Sunday, October 08, 2006

Maximizing the Weather

The nice weather continued today. Today's destination was Beecher/Monee. The total ride was supposed to be 46 miles. Days like this, 70s and sunny with SW winds, are going to become more rare. So I decided that I needed to maximize the weather and extend my ride.

We started off with 8 riders in Matteson. We rode out to Beecher and had breakfast at a new restaurant. It was good food, good service. Beecher used to have a really good breakfast spot but the owners moved away last year. There wasn't really anyplace else to eat except at the golf course until this new place opened up. This is a good thing because Beecher is a great winter destination. After breakfast, we started out towards Monee. Different riders started breaking off due to other commitments. So there were just two of us who maximized the weather and rode out to Frankfort. (And the other guy rode out there because that's where he lives).

My total for the day was 61 miles. Total for the week - 156. Total for the year - 5,289.

There is less and less daylight in the evenings. So any evening ride now is going to be pretty short. This week they are predicting snow on Thursday. There shouldn't be any accumulations, but that still puts a damper on outdoor plans. And in three weeks we change back to Standard Time, so evening rides will become non-existant, unless I take time off from work.

So, for the winter, I may have to start blogging about other things. I swim at Governor's State a couple of evenings a week. Swimming a mile doesn't seem as impressive as riding 50, 60 or 90 miles, though. At there certainly isn't much to observe, such as road kill. Once there is snow on the group, I will cross-country ski. There should be some tales to tell from those adventures.

I'm sure I'll think of something.

Go Bears!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home