Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Three Gatorade Ride

Today's Folks on Spokes ("FOS") ride was part of their larger annual picnic event. We met at Hickory Creek Forest Preserve in Mokena, IL and did a circuitous route to Manhattan and back to Frankfort, then Hickory Creek. It was another one of those beautiful Chamber of Commerce days, warm and sunny. You just don't want to think about the 110% humidity and dew points that would pale in the tropics.

There is a saying that cyclists should eat be they're hungry and drink before they're thirsty. As for the drinking part, most of the time I stick to water - a lot of it (at least WHILE I'm riding). But I have found that Gatorade has its place. It has things in it that help when one needs lots of fluid replacement. So, on a warm day, I'll have a Gatorade. On a hot day, I'll have two Gatorades. I'll just say that I had three Gatorades on todays ride.

I am getting to be a stronger rider. Last year, I'm sure I wouldn't have lasted 55 miles in this heat no matter what I was drinking. Unfortunately, I found that I was having trouble keeping up with my more experienced friends. I kept at it and got 55 miles total. I will just have to remember this ride when I'm out riding in December squeezing out those last miles of the year with sub freezing wind chills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home