Saturday, August 05, 2006

A Study of Prairie Grasses

This was an extraordinarily warm week. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all had heat indices over 105 degrees. I felt my time was best spent in the air conditioning, as a couch potato. It cooled off on Thursday, so I did a short after-work ride. Today's Frankfort Breakfast Club ride was really my first significant ride all week.

We had a fairly small group - 8 people and because various people in the group actually had plans for later in the day, it was a short ride, relatively speaking. We rode out to Manhattan (a default destination when the group can't agree on an objective.) I got a total a 51 miles today. This did allow me to go home and be The Happy Homeowner and cut the grass. It's amazing, get 3 or 4 inches of rain, and stuff grows. I like to think of my yard as a study of prairie grasses. Which is just a nice way of saying, "the weeds are winning".

So between last Sunday's 55, Thursday's 24 and today's 51 miles, my total for the year is 3367 miles. Tomorrow's FOS ride promises to be close to 80 miles, if we do the entire route. Its called "Long Way to Breakfast". We meander through Will and Kankakee counties in Illinois with a quick sprint in Indiana. Supposed to be hot. I'm packing Gatorade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home